Pinterest SEO Best Practices
Learn all about Pinterest SEO practices and how much more traffic it will get you! These are all actionable tips you can do and you will get results from them.
I will share Pinterest SEO tips with you that I use for my clients and can guarantee will help you get more traffic.
Pinterest SEO Meaning
First, let’s go over Pinterest SEO meaning. The basics so you will understand why you need to implement these Pinterest SEO tips. SEO means search engine optimization. And yes Pinterest is a search engine. It is the main reason you need to be on Pinterest if you are trying to make money, no matter how you are trying to make it.
Plus during Covid especially your target market is on Pinterest. They have over 400 million active monthly users. Reread that sentence again. Yes, that many users and they are your audience!
The number one way to make Pinterest drive insane amounts of traffic to your site for free is being found in the searches on Pinterest. Once you land in those searches your traffic will increase. Plus users on Pinterest average higher salaries (more chances of buying more) and are 46% more likely to buy something because they are actively searching for the item to buy.
Pinterest SEO Best Practices
Now lets dive into what you need to do to use Pinterest SEO best practices to make more money.
There are two things right off the bat you need to have before you even continue reading on:
- a business account
- 2) a claimed website
If you do not have those items you need to stop right now and go do them. None of this will work unless you have those two things already implemented.
Pinterest SEO Tips
The basics of SEO are good keywords and where to put them. So let’s dive into where to find the keywords for Pinterest. Please do not use the same keywords you use for Google they are different!
Places to find keywords:
- Pinterest search bar
- ads sections
- audience insights
- other pins
I am not going to go into deep detail about these sections to save time for where to put the keywords. I go over keywords and each section in detail in my Pinterest courses or can walk you through it together in my coaching sessions. Head to the hire me section on the top to learn more!
Where to put Pinterest Keywords
There are a few different places to put your Pinterest SEO keywords all-around your profile and account. The key here is to actually do all of them and not just in one or two of the spots. So I am going to add a checklist at the end for you to copy and print or write down and you need to use it and actually mark off which ones you have done and keep doing it consistently.
Keywords in File Name
This for some reason is the hardest one for me to remember and implement. You need to add keywords to your photo or graphics file name. When you save the item to your computer it needs to be renamed something with the keyword in.
Remember to use the keywords you found from the list above that reach your target audience. If you are using Lightroom to edit your photos you can easily change the titles of the whole album in the settings that’s how I do it.
Keywords in Pinterest Profile
You can no longer add keywords to your profile name they won’t allow it but you can use them in your username. For instance, my personal blog’s username is Hudson Farmhouse. So you and Pinterest know right off the bat my brand and content is about farmhouse stuff.
Keep in mind that the bio can have keywords as well but it really needs a call to action as well. Don’t just keyword stuff the bio!
You guessed it, keywords need to go in the title. More importantly your title needs to be catchy and click worthy as well. Make sure to sign up for my newsletter you will get a free easy way to generate click worthy titles!
This is by far the most important place to put your keywords. Again don’t keyword stuff but you can add a few in the description and use all 500 characters. Describe what is in the photo and don’t be afraid to ask them for something. A click or follow etc.
Pin Board Description
Duh right! You would be shocked how many people leave their board descriptions completely blank. Do not sleep on this and use all 500 characters!
And only pin exactly what that board is about. Do not add a bunch of random pins you are trying to repin somewhere to the board. Stay on niche and on topic!
Pinterest SEO Traffic Secrets
Now let’s go beyond the basics and r go over Pinterest SEO traffic secrets. Really make everything come together to help get the most amount of traffic you can.
Claiming Accounts and Websites on Pitnerest
One thing Pinterest hates is space. Claiming every type of account you can in your profile. It shows them you aren’t a robot and you really are a content creator. You can claim Instagram, youtube, Etsy, or a Shopify account as well. While you’re at it make sure to edit the what you are interested in categories too. Help Pinterest know what your account is about and wanting.
Adding the Pinterest tag to your website can help you. Mostly if you run ads or ever want to but also it shows Pinterest what your viewers are doing once they get to your account. If they are staying on a long time and what content is popular. Which may help them understand your website and audience more and send you better traffic.
if you ever plan on running ads you have to add this anyways might as well do it now!
Here’s some information on tagging from Pinterest:
Cross device reporting
Understand how people move from device to device, and understand how people engage with an advertiser’s content, and where they ultimately convert. This is essential for understanding overall performance as nearly 80% of Pinterest usage is on mobile today, but people tend to convert at a higher rate on desktop.
Track conversions beyond the click
The Pinterest Tag enables you to tie conversions back to impressions and clicks as well as attribute conversions to unique signals of intent such as saves and closeups. These actions are strong signals of consideration and demonstrate the influence an advertiser’s Promoted Pins can have.
- Impressions drive incremental conversions:
• Pinterest is a high-intent platform – people come to Pinterest looking for ideas. The visual nature of Pinterest drives
influence without requiring subsequent actions.
• On average, we see an incremental 5-10% lift in online purchases from people who were exposed to a Promoted Pin
(but didn’t necessarily click or engage) compared to people who didn’t.
- Saves and closeups indicate a higher propensity to convert:
• Pinners who save or closeup on a Pin are more likely to sign up for a service and more likely to purchase. (source:
internal Pinterest data 2016)
Best practices for attribution on Pinterest
- Pinners declare their intentions early. Evaluate performance against a longer attribution window (30 day recommended) to
help capture the planning mindset
- Pinterest is a high intent platform. Views of Promoted Pins drive thoughtful consideration and influence for your brand.
Saves and closeups are unique actions that signal a higher likelihood to convert.
- Pins last forever, driving earned efficiencies:
• Not only do Pinners help spread the word when they save Pins, they generate free impressions and subsequent
conversions for an advertiser
• Unlike social networks, where content expires within hours, the shelf-life of a Pin is considerably longer. Pins live in
perpetuity, and continue to drive engagement and action to an advertiser’s site even after campaigns have ended.
• Pull historical reporting to get the full value of an advertiser’s Promoted Pins campaigns
Google & Pinterest
Two things here. Google loves more social proof or shares. Getting repins on Pinterest shows Google that you have content that is worthy of sharing. So more shares on Pinterest helps with Google SEO.
Google also puts Pinterest pins in the their search results. And because Pinterest has such a high authority they get shown a lot in Google search results.
These are just other ways to boost your traffic and they all come back to helping you get more traffic!
Rich Pins and SEO
Rich pins are another thing you have to have and make sure it’s right. Claiming your website gives you the ability to have rich pins. Making your pin show all of the current information that you want to be shown. rich pins are kind of like schema markup for google. It actually uses the schema markup to pull rich pin data.
Using plugins like gorw.me or Tasty pins for WordPress are a must or for Shopify or Etsy you need to claim the accounts in your settings.
Pinterest explains rich pins:
Rich Pins show metadata right on the Pin itself, giving Pinners a richer experience and increasing engagement. Information in a Rich Pin is independent of the Pin description, ensuring that important information is always tied to the Pin. There are 4 types of Rich Pins: app, article, product and recipe Pins.
Rich Pins work by displaying metadata from marked up pages on your website. Once you’ve applied for Rich Pins, any content on your site with metadata will turn into a Rich Pin when a user saves it.
None of this will work unless you have killer content. That’s the real big secret. What is killer content? Well, it depends on your niche and ideal client. Creating content that is engageable or pin-worthy is the ultimate way to get the most traffic.
If you are currently not getting any traffic I am going to help you save time and tell you to do something different. Implement all of these things I wrote about today and change up your content. If it’s not working right it’s because you are doing it wrong!
If you want my help I am here to help you. I offer account audits or courses to take to help you learn more. Or if you want me to help you one on one I offer that as well. Hit the hire me tab at the top! I’d love to work together!
Check out some of my latest blog posts to learn more advanced tips for Pinterest.
- Pinterest SEO Best PracticesLearn all about Pinterest SEO practices and how much more traffic it will get you! These are all actionable tips you can do and you will get results from them. I will share Pinterest SEO tips with you that I use for my clients and can guarantee will help you get more traffic. Pinterest SEO…
- Manual Pinning vs Tailwind and the best Pinterest Courses 2021Trying to decide between manual pinning vs tailwind? Some swear one is better and some say one is the only way to go. Today I am going to go over each one and give you all the details I can and you can decide for yourself which one is better. Plus I am going to…
- Pinterest Pin IdsPinterest pin ids can be a helpful tool for some. I know most people have never heard about them or really talk about them. It is mostly because there isn’t very much research on the topic. I have been going back and forth using some pin ids trying to test it and haven’t been doing…
- How to Find the Keywords You Rank for on PinterestWant to know what keywords Pinterest rank for your account? Use this tool to find out. Why Knowing What Keywords Pinterest Ranks You for Are Important If you are in the fitness niche you want Pinterest keywords to rank you for fitness keywords. You don’t want them to think your account is about travel. If…
- Pinterest In the Making Conference for BusinessesPinterest sure knows how to throw a party especially their Pinterest In the Making Conference. A party for bloggers and influencers. Of course, they would they are the biggest platform for party inspiration! I was equal parts impressed and intrigued throughout the day during their first-ever Pinterest In the Making Conference. In the Making is…