How to Tag Products on Pinterest with Clickable URLs – Collection Pins
Pinterest has come out with another feature for shop owners and influencers to help get more sales allowing users to tag products on Pinterest. Tagging items in a pin that lead directly to a product. They are called collection pins..
Tagging products on Pinterest can only be done and desktop and they tell you to only link to the direct product. Not to a blog post or page talking about the product.
Remember Pinterest is all about user intent. They want to make it as easy as possible for pinners to shop. Note this is not the white circles or dots on pins tagging. That is only from catalogs uploaded and tagged by Pinterest themselves.
Like a lot of Pinterest’s features, there are pros and cons to using the feature and I dive into them in this post but first I want to show you what the pin looks like in your feed and when you click on it (a closeup).
Above is what the item looks like in the feed on desktop. This is a pin from my blog account @hudsonfarmhouse. You can see 3 of the items I tagged in the pin but no prices underneath.
At first glance it kind of looks like a graphic.
Above is what it looks like once you click on the pin. You can see the title, descriptions, and items I tagged, etc.
I am not sure why some products show the prices and some don’t I am assuming Schema markup but I am not sure. The two with prices are linked from Lamps Plus and the next ones are linked from Walmart.
How to Tag Products on Pinterest using Collection Pins
To tag products on Pinterest in the pin is super easy and there are a couple of ways to do it. First, the pin has to be yours and it must be from your verified domain. If you need help verifying your website head to the top and search for it and the post will pop up.
Pros to Using Collection Pins – Tagging Products on Pins
In my opinion, it depends on what niche and what type of business you have that makes tagging items in a pin worth it or not. Each account is going to be different and each account will have different goals.
Like I mentioned before Pinterest only cares about the user experience and users get really frustrated when they want to buy and item and can’t find it because the pin leads nowhere or is off subject.
This way the pin has the items directly linked from the picture so there is no confusion and the user can go straight to the product and purchase if they want to.
You are way more likely to get an affiliate commission when someone has fewer clicks to get to the item.
As we know from Pinterest research they say that users on the platform are more likely to buy and you putting the product right in front of them is more likely to lead to a sale.
Commissions can add up over time and really help some bloggers who are just starting out especially.
Depending on the person you may get a follow because that person may think wow I love that the products are tagged right here and sometimes the price even shows up. Leading that viewer to trust you more which means you may gain a follower from it.
This is why when tagging items you only tag the product and not a page or blog post talking about the product. You link straight to a buyable product.
Cons of Tagging Products on Pinterest
There are a couple of things I can think of that might not benefit you if you tag the products on your pin.
Website or Blog
The number one reason you might not want to tag is that you aren’t getting the person to your website. You won’t get that email sign up or views/ad revenues, etc.
It all depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to get people to your website and more traffic then probably wouldn’t tag that many pins. But if you are selling products in your shop I would definitely try it.
Say you are a seasoned blogger that gets traffic from Google and Instagram but not so much on Pinterest. You may want top try it to gain followers and trust. Trusting viewers are more likely to share and come back for more.
I would guess that your repin rate is going to be a lot less because they are going to click off to the product and not look back, thus not repinning the image. Which may hurt in Pinterest’s eyes.
Tagging Products on Pinterest
In conclusion, I believe it is best to try tagging products on Pinterest with some pins but not go crazy with tagging products unless you are an eCommerce shop! Since the feature is brand new I will continue to update this post as I learn more.
I will check back soon with analytics of my pins that I tagged products on Pinterest with to see if I get more or fewer clicks etc. Make sure to pin this for later and check out my other blog posts to learn more about Pinterest.
How to Create Collection Pins
Now, so you can see for yourself and confirm this is correct make sure to head to Pinterest. Please do not link to items that are not products and do not use Amazon affiliate links here. To pin Amazon Affiliate links please do it the right way. Read how-to here.
Product Tags on Pins that are Clickable
That’s it for tagging products on Pinterest today. If you liked this post please check out my other posts to learn more! Plus sign up for my newsletter so you don’t miss anything else!
Read about manually pinning vs tailwind here.
- Pinterest Creator Reward Program – Is it worth it or Not in 2023?Pinterest has announced the launch of a $500 million fund to support creators and influencers who produce original content for the platform called the Pinterest Creator Reward Program. This move comes as Pinterest looks to compete with the likes of YouTube and Instagram, which have both been investing heavily in original content creation. The program […]
- Pinterest creators fund – How to Apply and tips for successAre you a business owner who is looking for some help getting your Pinterest account off the ground? If so, you may be interested in the new Pinterest creators fund. This program provides financial assistance to businesses that want to create original content for their Pinterest pages. In this blog post, we’ll tell you how […]
- How to Tag Products on Pinterest with Clickable URLs – Collection PinsPinterest has come out with another feature for shop owners and influencers to help get more sales allowing users to tag products on Pinterest. Tagging items in a pin that lead directly to a product. They are called collection pins.. Tagging products on Pinterest can only be done and desktop and they tell you to […]
- Pinning to PinterestPinning to Pinterest seems pretty easy and straight forward right? Wrong for so many of my clients. Why I do not know. I think the main problem is they aren’t thinking about Pinterest as part of their brands and treating it professionally like they should be. Your Pinterest accounts need to stay on topic and […]
- Get the Most Out of the Pinterest CommunityPinterest has launched a platform called Pinterest community. It is this awesome platform you can go and ask your questions and get a real live employee to answer them! Of course, you do not get responses right away but you will eventually. The best part is you can read all the other questions and answers […]
Do you know if you can do collection pins from Tailwind? Or only manually on Pinterest? Thanks!
You have to add them manually, unfortunately.